- Download form 26AS and see what income details of yours need to be presented
Tax filing can be an arduous task and although everything these days has been digitised, there is still a lot to keep handy when you get down to tax filing. Here is an essential set of documents that you should keep with you when set about filing tax returns this year.
First things first. Before you start, get details of Form 26AS, which contains all information related to various income earned by you during the year and the taxes deducted on such income at source. You can download your Form 26AS from https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/. You can find a step-by-step guide here to view/download Form 26AS.
Income from other sources
- Interest income from banks: Bank account statement or interest certificate for interest on savings bank account.
- Interest certificate and Form 16A (TDS certificate) for all your fixed deposits.
- Details of other income earned (if any). For example, dividend, commission.
Details of your tax saving
For claiming deduction of up to Rs 1.5 lakh under Section 80C
- Life insurance premium payment receipts
- Your contribution to Public Provident Fund (PPF)
- Your contribution to NPS
- Stamp-duty and registration charges paid for the purchase of a house (if applicable)
- Home loan interest and principal repayment certificate (if applicable)
Medical insurance premium receipts under Section 80D
Interest certificate for your education loan under Section 80E
Donation receipts for the year under Section 80G
Income from House Property
- Possession letter (in case of new property)
- Receipt of Municipal taxes paid
- Housing loan interest certificates
- Details of pre-construction interest paid (if applicable)
- Details of tax deduction/Form 16A on rent
- Ownership Details (jointly held/singly held/ownership percentage)
Income from Capital Gain
- Sale deed for sale of property
- Details of expenses relating to sale
- Sale deed/gift deed for purchase of property
- Brokerage and other expenses relating to purchase of property
- Capital gain statement in case of sale of shares
- Sale deed for re-invested (new) property
- Details of any other deduction you missed to claim from your employer:
- Your rent receipts and rent agreement, (PAN details of landlord in case rent exceeds Rs 1 lakh) and salary slips in case you missed to claim HRA exemption
- Details of travel cost (travel tickets, boarding passes) for claiming LTA exemption