- Here’s the guide simplifying all the steps for checking ITR status in a few minutes
After submitting your Income Tax Returns (ITR) you may want to check the status of your returns. Here are some things that you need to know after filing your ITR: After the verification process is complete, the Income tax Department starts processing your returns. Once the processing is complete the status would be displayed as ‘ITR processed’. Generally, after processing, the ITR department sends you a notice under Section 143(1) informing you whether ITR as filed have been accepted or there is some discrepancy. The notice sent under Section 143(1) will reflect if there is some additional tax payable or there is a refund to be issued. If you want to check the status of your ITR, there are two ways given as below:
1. Using Acknowledgement number:
- Visit the homepage of the e-filing website. On the left side, under the service tab, you’ll find an option to check ITR Status.
- The option will redirect to a new page where you need to fill out some details like PAN number, ITR acknowledgement number and the captcha code.
- After filling the details, click on submit and the status will be displayed on your screen.
- Using login credentials:
- Visit the e-filing website. On the dashboard you’ll find an option ‘View Returns/Forms’.
- Click on the ‘View Returns/Forms’ option. Now select income tax returns and the assessment year and submit.
- After submitting, the status will be displayed on the screen showing whether the ITR is only verified or it has been processed.
FAQs related to Income tax return status:
- I have filed my ITR. Why haven’t I received my refund till now?
If you have not received your refund it could be due to the following reasons:
- Your ITR has not been processed yet: Check the status of your e-filed IT return by login in the e-filing website. You may receive your refund once the ITR is processed.
- After processing your ITR, the IT department has not determined any refund.
- The IT department has determined a refund but the ECS credit /cheque could not reach you: sometimes the refund could not reach you if you were not available at home or you may have provided incorrect address/ Bank Account Number.
- My Bank Account Number has changed. How can I change the Bank Account Number which I mentioned in my ITR?
Login in the Income Tax e-filing website and go to ‘My Account’. Click on ‘Refund Re-issue Request’ from the drop down menu then select the mode through which you want to receive the refund (cheque/ECS). Enter your new Bank Account Number and Address and submit.
- My address has changed and my refund failed to reach me. How can I change my address and raise a request for refund re-issue?
If your refund failed to reach you and was returned to the IT Department, then you can raise a request of refund re-issue. Login in the website of Income Tax e-Filling and go the ‘My Account’. Click on ‘Refund Re-issue Request from the dropdown menu. Select the mode through which you want to receive the refund (Cheque/ECS) and provide your Bank Account number and the new address and submit.
- My Address/Mobile number/e-mail ID has changed and my refund failed to reach me. How can I change my Address/Mobile number/e-mail ID and raise a request for refund re-issue?
Log in to the website of Income Tax e-Filing and go to ‘My Profile Settings’.
Select ‘Update Contact Details’ from the dropdown menu.
Provide the new Address/e-mail ID/ Mobile Number and submit.
After submitting, you are required to send the updated details to Central Processing Center (CPC) to update on the ITR.